Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What is the point of a Rolex watch?

 3  15  1  0 Google +4
 +
A few years ago I bought a Sekonda watch. Being a scatterbrained sort of individual, I lost it, and bought another one, a Lorus. Then I found the Sekonda and began wearing it again. Then I lost it again, a few weeks ago. On Monday when I collected my laundry, the fat lady (who may or may not sing) presented me with the second time lost Sekonda. It had been washed, and I gather dried in one of the hot air dryers before being found, and although the strap has now had its day, the watch was and is not only still working but keeping perfect time.
I can't remember how much I paid for this sturdy instrument but it was certainly less than £20. On the other hand, a Rolex, even a secondhand one, will set you back at least two grand. Now in all probability, a Rolex is even more heroic than a Sekonda. I say probably rather than certainly because I am never likely to own one. Indeed, even if by some inconceivable happenstance I inherited a fortune I would never buy one. Rolex manufacture watches for divers that are certified waterproof at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. If I am ever immersed under 12,000 metres of water - or 2 metres for that matter - I am unlikely to need a watch, but that's another story. Why though would any ordinary person pay 2, 5, or 20 grand plus for a watch, any watch, when he could buy an excellent one for under £20? Okay, so a king might, after all, royalty have to keep up appearances, but for anyone else, buying a Sekonda or similar leaves one more money to spend on the really important things in life. And marvellous piece of craftwork that it is, no one is likely to shoot, stab or beat me to death in a dark alley to rob me of my Sekonda.


Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/blog/20292#ixzz2MhgtsoRj

No comments:

Post a Comment